▪ You agree to be on time. Theater is great! It's live! It happens in the moment. You can't rewind it. You are an important part of the show and you need to be there from the very beginning. The actors are there, so you need to be there, too. Arriving 20 minutes before show time is the standard rule.
▪ If you are late, you agree to wait until a break in the action on stage to be seated. Finding your seat after the show has begun causes a disruption that not only distracts those in the audience, but those who are performing on stage as well. The theater experience is not like the movies. Live people are on stage. They can hear you just like you can hear them.
▪ You agree to use the restroom before the show starts to avoid getting up and disrupting the performance while it's happening. Once a class is seated, you may visit the restroom in small groups prior to show time. Young students must be escorted.
▪ You agree not to talk or whisper during the show. If you whisper to your friends during the show, you disrupt those around you, and quite possibly the actors. And, you might miss something!
▪ You agree not to talk to the actors while they're performing. Again, this is a live performance and the actors are concentrating on giving you the best performance possible.
▪ You agree to participate. This includes laughing at appropriate times, clapping in appreciation for the things and actors you like, and doing other things when invited by the actors to do so. It also means paying attention to what's going on by listening and watching closely.
▪ You agree to turn off all cell phones, watches, game boys and other gadgets that may make noise during the show. No headphones either! These can be just as disruptive as talking!
▪ You agree not to take pictures or use recording devices of any kind during the show. The material performed on stage is copyrighted material, and therefore protected under copyright law from reproduction of any kind without written permission. In addition, the Mahaffey Theater is a union house, and union rules prohibit the use of photography and recording devices without prior consent.
▪ You agree not to eat or drink anything while the show is going on. Remember the lunchroom? Candy wrappers make more noise than you think during a quiet moment on stage and the noise is very distracting to other audience members.
▪ You agree to keep your hands to yourself. Touching other people during the show is distracting, and may lead to talking.
▪ You agree to keep your feet on the floor. Think about how nice it felt walking in to this beautiful space, and how cushy and comfortable the seat felt as you sat down in it. We want everyone to experience this. In order to make that happen, we need to take good care of it. If feet are constantly placed on seats and armrests, they won't look nice for very long. Please be courteous and respectful of your surroundings.
▪ Finally, you agree to give the actors a full curtain call. A curtain call is the actors' final bow at the end of the performance. It's your opportunity to show your appreciation for what they've shared with you. Please wait until all the actors have taken their final bow before exiting the theater. The ushers will assist you in finding the best route out of theater! Follow their directions!